At Acre Hall Primary School, we teach mathematics to enable children to develop a range of essential life skills, including the ability to calculate, solve problems, think in abstract ways, as well as logical reasoning.
Our pupils extend their knowledge and understanding of mathematics through the use of mental images, Information and Communication Technology, practical activity, exploration, investigation and discussion using appropriate mathematical vocabulary.
We aim to enable each child to:
- a positive attitude towards mathematics and an awareness of the fascination of mathematics
- competence and confidence in mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills
- an ability to solve problems, to reason, to think logically and to work systematically and accurately.
- initiative and an ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others
- an ability to communicate mathematics and to develop mathematical language
- an ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life
- an understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry and investigation
There is a strong focus on developing the children’s mental maths skills alongside written computation and each lesson starts with an oral and mental starter, which may include counting and the recall of number facts. We base our curriculum on The National Curriculum 2014.
The national curriculum for mathematics aims to ensure that all pupils:
become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.